services: housing, income, legal and other services

Newfoundland and Labrador Housing | Income Support | Victim Services | Legal Assistance | Family Law Information | Other Services & Support

Newfoundland and Labrador Housing

Newfoundland and Labrador Housing gives first priority to women leaving violent relationships. A unit may not be available immediately, but you will go to the top of the list. Contact the NLHC office nearest you:

  • Avalon - 1-709-724-3000
  • Corner Brook - 1-709-639-5201
  • Gander - 1-709-256-1300
  • Happy Valley- Goose Bay - 1-709-896-1920
  • Grand Falls-Windsor - 1-709-292-1000
  • Marystown - 1-709-279-5375
  • Stephenville - 1-709-643-6826

The staff at the shelter or Women’s Centre can help with your application and search for housing.

Income Support – Start Up Allowance

The Department of Human Resources and Employment has a Victim of Violence Program to help you set up a new home. You may qualify for funding for furniture and other costs. For more information, contact one of these regional HRLE offices.

  • Avalon
    St. John's Area: 729-7888
    Toll-free: 1-877-729-7888
    TTY: 1-888-380-2299
  • Central
    Toll-free: 1-888-632-4555
    TTY: 1-877-292-4205
  • Western
    Toll-free: 1-866-417-4753
    TTY: 1-888-445-8585
  • Labrador
    Toll-free: 1-888-773-9311
    TTY: 1-866-443-4046
Victim Services

Victim Services has offices around the province. Their services include emotional support and counselling; information about the justice system; help with Victim Impact Statements; and court preparation.

Check out the Victim Services website for more information, including the office near you.

Legal Assistance

If you need a lawyer, you may qualify for legal aid. Visit the Department of Justice’s website for more information.

Family Law Information

The Public Legal Information Association of Newfoundland and Labrador (PLIAN) has information and services that may help you.  Check out the services section of their website.

For a copy of their Family Law Guide for Newfoundlanders and Labradorians, click on Publications.

Other Services & Supports

For a wide list of services and supports in your area, go to these web pages: